Introduction of HTML
In HTML we can create your own Web site and use HTML attributes with HTML tags.
HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language, which is the most widely used language on Web to develop web pages.
HTML is easy to learn – You will enjoy it.
History of HTML
In the late 1980’s , A physicist, Tim Berners-Lee who was a contractor at CERN, proposed a system for CERN researchers. In 1989, he wrote a memo proposing an internet based hypertext system.
Tim Berners-Lee is known as father of HTML. The first available description of HTML was a document called “HTML Tags” proposed by Tim in late 1991.
A Simple HTML Document
<h1>My First Heading</h1>
<p>My first paragraph.</p>
<!DOCTYPE html>declaration defines that this document is an HTML5 document
<html>element is the root element of an HTML page
<head>element contains meta information about the HTML page
<title>element specifies a title for the HTML page (which is shown in the browser’s title bar or in the page’s tab)
<body>element defines the document’s body, and is a container for all the visible contents, such as headings, paragraphs, images, hyperlinks, tables, lists, etc.
<h1>element defines a large heading
<p>element defines a paragraph
What is an HTML Element?
An HTML element is defined by a start tag, some content, and an end tag:<tagname>Content goes here…</tagname>
The HTML element is everything from the start tag to the end tag:<h1>My First Heading</h1><p>My first paragraph.</p>
|Start tag||Element content||End tag|
|<h1>||My First Heading||</h1>|
|<p>||My first paragraph.||</p>|
Note: Some HTML elements have no content (like the <br> element). These elements are called empty elements. Empty elements do not have an end tag!
The purpose of a web browser (Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Safari) is to read HTML documents and display them correctly.
A browser does not display the HTML tags, but uses them to determine how to display the document:
HTML Page Structure
Below is a visualization of an HTML page structure:
<h1>This is a heading</h1>
<p>This is a paragraph.</p>
<p>This is another paragraph.</p>
Note: The content inside the <body> section (the white area above) will be displayed in a browser. The content inside the <title> element will be shown in the browser’s title bar or in the page’s tab.
Why Learn HTML?
- It is possible to create WebPages without knowing anything about the HTML source behind the page.
- You can use tags the editor does not support.
- You can read the code of other people’s pages, and “borrow” the cool effects.
- You can do the work yourself, when the editor simply refuses to create the effects you want.
Advantage of HTML
- First advantage it is widely used.
- Every browser supports HTML language.
- Easy to learn and use.
- It is by default in every windows so you don’t need to purchase extra software.
- Very similar to XML syntax, which is increasingly used for data storage.
- Easy to learn & code even for New programmers
Disadvantages of HTML
- It can create only static and plain pages so if we need dynamic pages then HTML is not useful.
- Need to write lot of code for making simple webpage.
- Security features are not good in HTML.
- If we need to write long code for making a webpage then it produces some complexity.